[kictanet] Handling of complains by an Intermediary

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 07:01:39 EAT 2012

Thanks Ali, Mark,
Barrack and Alex for keeping the debate vibrant.

Today is our last
day of discussing the various issues that have arisen on intermediary
liabilities. Two questions:

1.
A while
ago, one Lister reported on this platform of the efforts he was making to get
google to bring some post down and he gave his reasons.

If citizens complain to an intermediary for
example google that infomation posted on its site is defamatory or harmful, but
the intermediary sees no harm in the content and insists that it can only take
down the said content if there is a court order, what forms of redress are
available for this citizen especially if s/he has no funds to go to court?

2.
With
Internet users becoming mini publishers (blogs and facebook), do we need a liberal
definition of intermediaries that would include them considering such users may
have low awareness levels?

Over to you
Listers.

And a great furahi