[kictanet] FW: ITU Twitter Storm on Wednesday 10/10

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 21:38:15 EAT 2012

FYI

From: Ellery at cdt.org
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 11:23:59 -0700
To: wcit12 at cdt.org
Subject: [WCIT12] ITU Twitter Storm on Wednesday 10/10

Hi everyone,
We got word today that the ITU secretariat is planning to do a "Twitter storm" tomorrow 10/10 at 18:00 CET---sounds like they will focus on promoting the ETNO proposal, which presents a clear threat to net neutrality and access to information. A few folks have pointed out that the act of promoting a particular proposal contradicts the ITU's depiction of the secretariat as a neutral arbiter of the process. Here is a tweet from ETNO, announcing the planned "storm": https://twitter.com/ETNOAssociation/status/255684963389825025
We plan to do some strategic "counter tweeting" here at CDT, and we think it would be great if others do the same. Does this sound like a good idea to folks?
If so, you can follow @ITU or @lgambardella (Luigi Gambardella, executive board chair of ETNO) or just @CenDemTech (CDT's account) to see what's happening. Use hashtags and #ITU #WCIT and tweet at @ITU and/or @lgambardella to participate.
If you're looking for simple messages to tweet about the ITU process, our ITU toolkit [https://www.cdt.org/content/itu-tools-advocates] has plenty to offer. As for ETNO-specific tweets (if this is indeed the focus), I would recommend focusing on the fact that the ETNO proposal could threaten Internet neutrality; threaten access to information online; and limit access to information in less-developed countries.
Hoping to get a little conversation going around this today---reply all with ideas, strategies, etc.
Thanks all,
Ellery

PS: If you want to read more about the ETNO proposal, here are a few materials we've put out recently:
Short summary of our ETNO proposal analysishttps://www.cdt.org/files/pdfs/EU_Telco_Proposals-CDT.pdf
Full ETNO proposal analysishttps://www.cdt.org/blogs/cynthia-wong/2106radical-proposal-now-table-itu
Global Voices post on ETNO proposalhttp://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2012/07/27/european-telco-proposal-to-itu-a-threat-to-the-open-web/

Ellery Roberts BiddleCenter for Democracy and Technology(415) 814-1711