[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Internet capacity to double soon after fifth fibre optic cable lands

James Mbugua jgmbugua at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:25:35 EAT 2012

This report has scant details. Who is this Middle Eastern Company, what is
the capacity of the proposed cable, where is it connecting to for onward
connectivity to Europe, America etc?

Other things don't add up, that our capacity will be used up in 5 years yet
in the same breath we have not reached critical mass as we are only using 6
per cent of capacity?

Thirdly, there is one policy area I've always differed on with Dr. Ndemo
and that is last-mile connectivity.

Daktari talks of LTE and the private sector doing it. I have repeatedly
said that the Government of Kenya, in the same way it provides roads and
water mains, should allocate money in the budget for rolling out fiber to
estates.

Without doing this, we will never have fast, affordable internet. If we
leave it to the private sectors, they will always say they have to recover
their investments before the prices come down.

This is a utility that private sector players have shown they cannot be
trusted with, and we need to come up with new regional authorities tasked
to run these last mile access to homes. Operators wishing to reach homes
via fiber will pay these authorities for transmission. With time those
authorities can be able to fund their own expansion with a gradual
reduction of budgetary allocation to this activity.

Regards

James