[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Internet capacity to double soon after fifth fibre optic cable lands

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Nov 20 16:32:23 EAT 2012

James

Good point you make on last mile connections. This is infrastructure
investment hence a more longer time outlook is definitely required.
However, I'm abit hesitant (or maybe I'm straddling the fence) on whether
it should be a government investment or private sector. The answer may be a
bit of both - Just like the other infrastructure investments are (Energy,
Roads etc).

If the government provides an enabling environment (which I think this
government, at least in Information Technology has shown willingness to do)
then private sector can take a longer term view. In addition though
business models may need to be tweaked to reflect the changing market place.

Regards

*Ali Hussein*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo