[kictanet] Fiscal Budget FY 2013 - ICT Stake

Patrick Mwangi Karanja mutuota at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 11:31:56 EAT 2012

Listers,

When all is said and done the money / numbers will talk about the commitment to make ICT work in Kenya. Out of curiosity, is there a proposed request to the government by the industry on how much and for what will be needed to grow it further, create more jobs etc etc?

As one lister said not to look as one who just points out but provides a solution.

1. Earlier discussions on this forum to have a representative industry body went mum - I hope it does not mean they are over.
2. If the wearer of the shoe seems comfortable I guess the government can go ahead and direct all the funds to the election
3. Lack of active objective engagement by providing a policy view to the government locks out any hope of funding (yet your / our companies pay tax)
4. Opportunities to grow, develop, create jobs etc continue to be lost and worse still taken up by other countries.
5. I believe the discussions and an open letter (Dr Ndemo, Paul Kukubo, Dr. ... can advice on the best protocol)

My initial 1 cent on the approach but without solid numbers;

1. Structural interventions - financing.
2. Operational - tax breaks,  etc
3. Capacity building i.e., centers of excellence, subsidized I.T training etc, training rebates for companies that retain workforce for a period of time etc
4. Research note my earlier mail on not having numbers and anaylsis of ICT sector even in the economic survey
5. VAT and WT harmonization to allow regional play. I've lost a number of deals on this account
6. Incentives to investors and clients
7. Market development

Any better thoughts and hopefully an action that could see a proposal of inclusion in this years budget reading.

Have a pleasant week.

Regards,

Patrick M. Karanja