[kictanet] Revisiting Deadly Thika Road

James Mbugua jgmbugua at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:28:52 EAT 2012

Listers,

I think it is a bit rich to be complaining about the
yet-to-be-completed Thika Road yet just the other day people were
complaining about spending endless hours in traffic where space to
even overlap was not there.

I speak to Engineer Kidenda so I might as well tell you what he has
had to say on Thika Road.

First of all, barring maybe rain delay, major completion of works is
supposed to be done by end of June during which signage and painting
will also have been done.

Quoting Engineer Kidenda, new roads are not supposed to be used until
they are complete and have been handed over. THat is what happens with
most roads as drivers are forced to use diversions.

It was impossible for this to be done on Thika Road so construction
had to be done as the road is being used. END QUOTE.

You have to appreciate the magnitude of that feat before we start
complaining that the roads have not been painted or signs put up. That
is the last thing usually done on roads.

In the meantime, there is nothing special about Thika Road compared to
highways in Johannesburg or London.

What is SPECIAL is road users who have no courtesy and have the
manners of village louts.

These are the ones to blame not government agencies.

Regards,

Mbuguss