[kictanet] Companies registry website cost 62 million, cant even search….

Paul Kukubo pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Sat May 12 23:56:03 EAT 2012

James/ listers

We had a forum yesterday at the Nailab on Bishop Magua Buidling on the
grant award process. We had used twitter and Facebook to invite comments
and an open forum on this process.

We had some successful grant applicants and others who were not so
successful in attendance.  We took in many views from those present, many
who were quite vocal about how we might improve the process. The critical
suggestions were about how to improve the grant process.  We detailed the
grant process as we have always done. Grant winners shared their
experiences. We recorded the entire session.

A few months ago when we took the 150 odd shortlisted candidates through
training at Strathmore Business School in preparation for the grant. Prior
to that we had visited Kakamega, Mombasa, Nairobi, Garrissa Nakuru where
more views were sought.

We acknowledge that it is while it is not a perfect process, it is dome
with the highest level of professionalism. Website www.tandaa.co.ke to see
update.

On bringing  in investors, this continuous to be part of the mandate we
have.  just a few weeks ago, we hosted a visiting investor delegation from
Singapore, www.ict.go.ke I host visitors often at our offices every week.
Most of them are usually clear what they are looking for and have done
their homework and shorlist before they fly here. We work with the hub
communities and the upcoming KITOS to channel this interest. And we have
partnered in many local investor events.

Indeed during the grant award process, one of our keynote guests was IBM's
head of venture capital who toured the tandaa grants exhibition prior to
the awards ceremony.

Right now, we have just given out 100millioms KShs in grant commitments.
This money is not given in straight upfront cash but is instead disbursed
against pre agreed milestones. See website for process www.tandaa.co.ke and
www.ict.go.ke.

There was always bound to be some murmuring around this. We remain
committed to keeping stakeholders appraised fully.

Paul Kukubo
CEO
Kenya ICT Board.

On Friday, May 11, 2012, James Mbugua wrote:

> Without mincing words, I would like to see a comprehensive audit of
> the Kenya ICT Board and what it has actually achieved especially with
> funds loaned to us from World Bank (IDA) which tax payers are meant to
> repay.
>
> There have been too many complaints about favouritism and opaqueness
> in giving of grants and perhaps it is time that rather than give
> grants the aardees get "financing" which they have to pay back once
> their business picks and the ICT Board guarantees the loans so that it
> is ultimately responsible.
>
> THis Board needs clearly spelt out mandates and its positions must be
> competitively filled from the top.
>
> Instead of the CEO, his deputy and aides globe trotting apparently to
> market Kenya they need to bring techpreneurs from Silicon Valley to Ke
> nya. There is too much money wasted on these foreign trips yet it
> takes an eternity to award a grant equivalent to one return ticket to
> local entrepreneurs.
>
> Something needs to be done!
>
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Barrack Otieno
> <otieno.barrack at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > GG,
> >
> > I have read the article and lost network, may i suggest that we do a
> stock
> > take of major ICT undertakings on this list to see whether they have
> > achieved their purpose, it might be better to stop digging while the
> surface
> > is still visible.
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com<javascript:;>
> >
> > wrote:
> >>

> http://www.wanjiku.co.ke/2012/05/companies-registry-website-cost-62-million-cant-even-search/

> http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/otieno.barrack%40gmail.com
> >>

> >> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> >> for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
> >> regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
> >> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
> development.
> >>
> >> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
> >> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
> bandwidth,
> >> share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy,
> do
> >> not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.
> >

> > --
> > Barrack O. Otieno
> > +254721325277
> > +254-20-2498789
> > Skype: barrack.otieno
> > http://www.otienobarrack.me.ke/

> http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/jgmbugua%40gmail.com
> >
> > The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> for
> > people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
> [...]

Chief Executive Officer, Kenya ICT Board
PO Box 27150 - 00100
Nairobi, Kenya

12th Floor, Teleposta Towers Koinange Street

Tel +254 20 2089061, +254 20 2211960
Fax: +254 20 2211962
website: www.ict.go.ke
local content project: www.tandaa.co.ke, www.facebook.com/tandaakenya
twitter:@tandaaKENYA
BPO Project: www. doitinkenya.co.ke
Digital Villages Project: www.pasha.co.ke

personal contacts
_______________

Cell: + 254 717 180001

skype: kukubopaul
googletalk: pkukubo
personal blog: www.paulkukubo.co.ke
personal twitter: @pkukubo

Vision: Kenya becomes a top ten global ICT hub

Mission: To champion and actively enable Kenya to adopt and exploit ICT,
through promotion of partnerships, investments and infrastructure growth
for socio economic enrichment