[kictanet] Status of IPv6 deployment in Kenya

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 10:56:47 EAT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:20, Michuki Mwangi <michuki at swiftkenya.com>wrote:

> Wash, et al,
>
> Let me try and clarify one thing. There will never be demand for IPv6 just
> like there was never a demand for IPv4 because users don't care much about
> the underlying technology. However, the users will provide a constant
> demand for old and new Internet services.

Thanks, Michuki. I see you do agree with me that what will drive the
deployment of IPv6 will determined by "need", not necesarily "fashion" or
moving with the times.
The same is supported by John Gitau in the following statement:
"Imagine an iphone4s-advanced that does only IPv6 made for the Asian
market. Now also imagine your CEO goes there, buys it and wants it to work
here. That's exactly what happened with blackberry. Long before its launch
here, pressure came from top shot CEO's. If KQ and equity and all the big
SP customers insisted They want IPv6, we'll get IPv6, *create demand*."

So there we go. How do we create this needs to lead us towards the drive to
deploy IPv6? We need to create the synergies to make everyone involved see
the *need* and from there we'll all move in sync.

> As a result if you are an ISP intending to remain in the Internet business
> you need to have the resources to deliver these services competitively.
> Failure to plan and deploy IPv6 will mean that the ISP will have two
> options;
>        1. Deploy expensive IPv4 to IPv6 translation devices or,
>        2. Incur costs due to early/unplanned upgrade cycle.

I like the justification you give in (1) above. However, if the need has to
come from the ISPs clients, then the ISPs themselves will remain blind to
these facts. I think now I see the need for the TFs, who I suppose should
be the crusaders for this migration.

Michuki has given the TF enough ammunition to hit the road, running.

My greatests fear is that we're all better in debating that taking action.
Someone will say let's call the stakeholders to a conference to chart the
way forward. I doubt if it's stakeholder conferences that will make us move
forward. There must be another way of engaging without calling the
conferences.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,