[kictanet] Status of IPv6 deployment in Kenya

John Gitau jgitau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:44:38 EAT 2012

Thanks for the headsup. but,

To clarify: for a clueful enterprise customer, my advise is to go get PI
space when dealing with IPv6 - current afrinic policy (
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2004-v6-001.htm) doesn't allow
endusers to get an initial allocation but thats something we can bring up
at the next afrinic.

RIPE is very clear:
"The RIPE NCC will assign the prefix directly to the End User organisations
upon a request properly submitted to the RIPE NCC, either * directly *or
through a* sponsoring LIR*."
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-545#IPv6_PI_Assignments

The LIR could traditionally request PI addresses for an End User - we did
it for IPv4. Yes most LIR's will charge to co-ordinate this. IPv6 will
however bring interesting challenges. Either way it wont be wise to be tied
to an ISP's addresses, on the other hand I cant believe ISP's are not
taking advantage of this address space to 'lock in' customers.

Gitau

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:04 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/12, John Gitau <jgitau at gmail.com> wrote:
> > No, I think one day we'll wake up and the rest of the world will have
> moved
> > on. And yes at that point the demand for IPv6 consultants will be quite
> high
> > and lucrative, so yay!.Today there is no reason for guys in Asia not to
> just
> > come up with apps and devices that run on ipv6. An area that's often
> > overlooked is M2M communication as an example.
> >
> > Imagine an iphone4s-advanced that does only IPv6 made for the Asian
> market.
> > Now also imagine your CEO goes there, buys it and wants it to work here.
> > That's exactly what happened with blackberry. Long before its launch
> here,
> > pressure came from top shot CEO's. If KQ and equity and all the big SP
> > customers insisted They want IPv6, we'll get IPv6, create demand.
> >
> > While we (africa) may still have Ipv4, not getting ready means we shall
> be
> > the prime market for nat and other 'old school' translation devices.
> > Remember internet is global, and its protocols have no respect for
> national
> > boundaries. The fact is most vendors would like it if you stuck at v4,
> they
> > will make more money from you later. Heck i will make more from you
> later.
> > We will pay for our laziness. That's why I'm not worried. Either way it
> will
> > work out.
> >
> > * @wash no lir's won't withdraw v4, lir's are isp's, they cant do that.
> They
> > should however Ensure everyone gets an ipv6 allocation. Infact call your
> ISP
> > today and ask for ipv6 PI space.
>

> FYI "PI space" comes from the RIR only, you can't get it from your
> Local Internet Registry (ISP).  You can get an assignment (or
> sub-allocation) from your LIR.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim