[kictanet] Status of IPv6 deployment in Kenya

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:15:39 EAT 2012

On 3/20/12, John Gitau <jgitau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the headsup. but,
>
> To clarify: for a clueful enterprise customer, my advise is to go get PI
> space when dealing with IPv6 - current afrinic policy (
> http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2004-v6-001.htm) doesn't allow
> endusers to get an initial allocation but thats something we can bring up
> at the next afrinic.

You can bring it up then, but to have a proposal that can be discussed
(on the agenda) it should be proposed at least 30 days in advance.

> RIPE is very clear:
> "The RIPE NCC will assign the prefix directly to the End User organisations
> upon a request properly submitted to the RIPE NCC, either * directly *or
> through a* sponsoring LIR*."
> http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-545#IPv6_PI_Assignments

That's is relatively new policy in RIPE-land.  IPv6 was meant to be
aggregatable when created by the IETF, but some RIR communities have
chosen to change that.

> The LIR could traditionally request PI addresses for an End User - we did
> it for IPv4.

You can ask the RIR for v4 PI space, no need to deal with an LIR for
this, except for routing it.

Yes most LIR's will charge to co-ordinate this. IPv6 will
> however bring interesting challenges. Either way it wont be wise to be tied
> to an ISP's addresses, on the other hand I cant believe ISP's are not
> taking advantage of this address space to 'lock in' customers.

lock-in in v6 is harder than in v4.  v6 was designed so that
renumbering was more automagic in v6.

--
Cheers,

McTim