[kictanet] Status of IPv6 deployment in Kenya

John Gitau jgitau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:48:40 EAT 2012

No, I think one day we'll wake up and the rest of the world will have moved on. And yes at that point the demand for IPv6 consultants will be quite high and lucrative, so yay!.Today there is no reason for guys in Asia not to just come up with apps and devices that run on ipv6. An area that's often overlooked is M2M communication as an example.

Imagine an iphone4s-advanced that does only IPv6 made for the Asian market. Now also imagine your CEO goes there, buys it and wants it to work here. That's exactly what happened with blackberry. Long before its launch here, pressure came from top shot CEO's. If KQ and equity and all the big SP customers insisted They want IPv6, we'll get IPv6, create demand.

While we (africa) may still have Ipv4, not getting ready means we shall be the prime market for nat and other 'old school' translation devices. Remember internet is global, and its protocols have no respect for national boundaries. The fact is most vendors would like it if you stuck at v4, they will make more money from you later. Heck i will make more from you later. We will pay for our laziness. That's why I'm not worried. Either way it will work out.

* @wash no lir's won't withdraw v4, lir's are isp's, they cant do that. They should however Ensure everyone gets an ipv6 allocation. Infact call your ISP today and ask for ipv6 PI space. That should be the first step towards enlightenment.

If you don't know how it works, coordinate with teak for training. Or some private trainers. Call me:-)

Marketing departments should be yelling how v6 ready they are. It's a cheap shot but it will work. Business continuity demands ipv6. Come June on this years ipv6 day, there will be a lot more noise and push. Just keep watching that space.

Gitau

Sent from my iPad