[kictanet] Articles, Speeches, Blogs and Publications about ITU and the ITRs]

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Jun 20 15:51:55 EAT 2012

Alice

Very useful and vindication of the process we have started. Thanks!

Ali Hussein

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM, <alice at apc.org> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I could send to you a much longer list of similar articles, blogs and
> publications about alleged ITU plans to take control of the Internet.  I
> could also send to you many which state the contrary. But none of this
> will be of any use.
>
> The last meeting of the Council Working Group (CWG) for WCIT started this
> morning 20 June and ends on 22 June.   Find attached the speech of ITU
> Secretary-General,  Dr. Hamadoun I. Touré, delivered today at the opening
> of this last CWG WCIT meeting.
>
> ITU has 193 Member States. The decision on the content of the revised ITRs
> will be made by ITU Membership at the end of this year (3-14 December)
> during the WCIT in Dubai.
> For those of you who represent your countries in ITU,  I would encourage
> you to increase the involvement of the citizens of your countries in your
> national consultations during this process.   I would also hope that your
> positions and views regarding ITU and the process to  review the ITRs are
> based on actual proposals and discussions taking place in the appropriate
> ITU forums dealing with this subject and not necessarily on blogs,
> publications, speeches and media reports many of which do not accurately
> reflect the facts.
>
> Also, please find attached a WCIT background brief which I hope will be
> helpful to have a basic understanding of what the ITRs are and the roles
> of sovereign states in the process leading to the review of this Treaty
> (the ITRs). Please feel free to share this brief and the speech of ITU
> Secretary-General as you consider appropriate.
>
> For reliable and up-to-date information about ITU, the ITRs and WCIT,
> please visit  www.itu.int/wcit<http://www.itu.int/wcit>
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexander NTOKO
> ITU Representative (Observer) to the GAC
> Chief, Operations and Planning Department
> Telecommunication Standardization Bureau (TSB)
> International Telecommunication Union (ITU)

*Ali Hussein|Managing Partner*

*
*Telemedia Africa
Azania Technology Group

Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road

P O Box  14556-00100

Office: +254 737 751409

Cell:     +254 773/713 601113

*Nairobi, Kenya*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but in
business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis, member,
Advertising Hall of Fame