[kictanet] Articles, Speeches, Blogs and Publications about ITU and the ITRs]

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Wed Jun 20 16:02:46 EAT 2012

Dear Ali and all,

Countries like the Netherlands, reported that they have held national
consultations  (workshops) to discuss these issues and develop a national
position, while others like the US mentioned they have made the WCIT
documents available to their constituencies.

This is the bottom up approach that the ITU SG spoke about regarding the
revision of the ITRs including the  issue  "openness and transparency
beginning with public access to various documents.

We have had a great tradition/practice since our Ministry was created,
where we have discussed critical policies and regulations as a result of
the open policy window provided by our government.

For this instance, we should ideally follow the same multi stakeholder
bottom consultations approach for both process and substantive issues.

Best

Alice

> Alice
>
> Very useful and vindication of the process we have started. Thanks!
>
> Ali Hussein
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM, <alice at apc.org> wrote:
>

>     Dear All,
>
>     I could send to you a much longer list of similar articles, blogs and
>     publications about alleged ITU plans to take control of the
Internet.  I
>     could also send to you many which state the contrary. But none of this
>     will be of any use.
>
>     The last meeting of the Council Working Group (CWG) for WCIT started
this
>     morning 20 June and ends on 22 June.   Find attached the speech of ITU
>     Secretary-General,  Dr. Hamadoun I. Touré, delivered today at the
opening
>     of this last CWG WCIT meeting.
>
>     ITU has 193 Member States. The decision on the content of the
revised ITRs
>     will be made by ITU Membership at the end of this year (3-14 December)
>     during the WCIT in Dubai.
>     For those of you who represent your countries in ITU,  I would
encourage
>     you to increase the involvement of the citizens of your countries in
your
>     national consultations during this process.   I would also hope that
your
>     positions and views regarding ITU and the process to  review the
ITRs are

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/info%40alyhussein.com

>     The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder
platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT
policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for
reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT
enabled growth and development.

>     KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable
behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people's
times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or
personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares
or qualifications.

> --
>
> Ali Hussein|Managing Partner
>

> Telemedia Africa
> Azania Technology Group
>
> Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road
>
> P O Box  14556-00100
>
> Office: +254 737 751409
>
> Cell:     +254 773/713 601113
>
> Nairobi, Kenya
>

> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo
>

> "You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but
in business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis,
member, Advertising Hall of Fame