[kictanet] Articles, Speeches, Blogs and Publications about ITU and the ITRs]

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Wed Jun 20 15:47:35 EAT 2012

Dear All,

I could send to you a much longer list of similar articles, blogs and
publications about alleged ITU plans to take control of the Internet.  I
could also send to you many which state the contrary. But none of this
will be of any use.

The last meeting of the Council Working Group (CWG) for WCIT started this
morning 20 June and ends on 22 June.   Find attached the speech of ITU
Secretary-General,  Dr. Hamadoun I. Touré, delivered today at the opening
of this last CWG WCIT meeting.

ITU has 193 Member States. The decision on the content of the revised ITRs
will be made by ITU Membership at the end of this year (3-14 December)
during the WCIT in Dubai.
For those of you who represent your countries in ITU,  I would encourage
you to increase the involvement of the citizens of your countries in your
national consultations during this process.   I would also hope that your
positions and views regarding ITU and the process to  review the ITRs are
based on actual proposals and discussions taking place in the appropriate
ITU forums dealing with this subject and not necessarily on blogs,
publications, speeches and media reports many of which do not accurately
reflect the facts.

Also, please find attached a WCIT background brief which I hope will be
helpful to have a basic understanding of what the ITRs are and the roles
of sovereign states in the process leading to the review of this Treaty
(the ITRs). Please feel free to share this brief and the speech of ITU
Secretary-General as you consider appropriate.

For reliable and up-to-date information about ITU, the ITRs and WCIT,
please visit  www.itu.int/wcit<http://www.itu.int/wcit>

Regards,

Alexander NTOKO
ITU Representative (Observer) to the GAC
Chief, Operations and Planning Department
Telecommunication Standardization Bureau (TSB)
International Telecommunication Union (ITU)