[kictanet] Threat analysis of WCIT part 2: Telecommunications vs. Internet

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Jun 11 10:47:30 EAT 2012

Walu

Very informative and provides a good historical timeline to the issues at
hand. It would do the ITU alot of good to bring themselves upto speed on
the competitive environment that is the Global Telecoms and Internet space.
I do suspect however that they are already aware of this but it being
largely an inter government body they are finding it very difficult to
maneuver around (abit like herding cats I suspect).

Whilst I do sympathize with one aspect of this fight (the case of providing
a soft landing for some national telcos) I shudder to think what would have
happened if Safaricom was still a division of KP&TC (For those of you who
are young enough :-) not to remember that acronym it stands for Kenya Posts
& Telecommunications Corporation).  I wonder whether Safaricom would have
grown much more from where it used to be - A hole in the wall at Extelcoms
House.

The perceived issue here of control and censorship need to be addressed in
the open and the countries supporting this route named and shamed. I
believe there can be a middle ground where the current general environment
that fosters innovation and universal access to information is maintained.

Regards

Ali Hussein

--

*Ali Hussein|Managing Partner*

*
*Telemedia Africa
Azania Technology Group

Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road

P O Box  14556-00100

Office: +254 737 751409

Cell:     +254 773/713 601113

*Nairobi, Kenya*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but in
business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis, member,
Advertising Hall of Fame