[kictanet] Australia backs UN telco treaty changes

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 18:48:21 EAT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
> It is precisely this sort of opaqueness by the ITU that is causing everyone to have ulcers....
>
> If the intentions on both sides were clear then we will have a basis to soberly comment and make judgements without being subjected to all this intrigue.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communication-breakdown-10000030/block-net-neutrality-in-new-internet-rules-un-urged-10026365/

is a pretty good summary.

It's about money.   Big telcos/carriers want to make money from
content providers in addition to the revenue they get from their
downstream customers.  It's the old "but Google is using our pipes for
free" argument, which IMHO is carries no weight.

So for example, Safcom makes money from each of their customers who
subscribe to their Internet services.  Would they like to be paid by
Google and others for delivering content?  I am sure they would, but
then they would be getting paid twice for delivering the service one
time!

--
Cheers,

McTim