[kictanet] WCITleaks just launched

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 11:10:36 EAT 2012

@Kivuva,

I tend to see it that way too.  As a global community, we have to chose whether we want the Internet to governed from Washington or NYC (UN-aka-ITU).

Either way, Uncle Sam will somehow retain veto power.  I remember reading somewhere that one Congress man said that he cannot understand how - assuming Internet Governance goes the United Nations way - he could NOT understand how the US would have the same vote/powers as say Somalia, Afghanistan and others (e.g Kenya?) whose society may not be as intricately tied to the Internet as thiers is..

What is worse, the motive of some countries to control the Internet is quite suspect - recall an earlier post I made about Google not "working" from Guangzhou, China? I suspect most African governments are coming in from this perspective and use ITU to sanitize such agenda with the correct diplomatic legalese.  ITU plays along since they would not mind a redifned role (control internet) in the current dispensation of a knowledge economy.

But that's just my personal view and I do hope am wrong.

walu.