[kictanet] WCITleaks just launched

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Jun 7 10:17:16 EAT 2012

Well, the issue of Internet governance is a hot topic involving hard
diplomacy. US has put fifth gear in its propaganda machinery. We all know
that the Internet is Governed from Washington, with president Bush in
his reign vetoing many proposals from ICANN. We all know how powerful
this behemoth ICANN is, and that it reports to USA Department of Commerce.

The revenue these California firms get from gTLDs an other payouts is huge,
so don't expect them to relinquish control over the internet without a
fight.

We all know anybody who controls root servers, the domain names, IP
numbers, and AS numbers, control a huge chunk of the internet. They can
even refuse to propagate a zone file for a particular ccTLD. US still has
the majority primary root servers.

Are we forgetting SOPA?

Is there anybody who never heard of wikileaks.org? The US put pressure
on registrars to drop it like hot coal. Julian Assange had to seek refuge
on ccTLDs and mirror sites to broadcast his message.  So if we are talking
about internet freedom, "the land of the free" is the true jail for our
beloved internet.

Bottom line, is it better for the life of the internet to be controlled
from Washington (read one country), or for it to be controlled by UN? Of
course UN is still not the most neutral place, with US bankrolling it.

Mwendwa Kivuva
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels