[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Listening at the Kenya Red Cross Developer day

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:33:11 EAT 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing. Truly there is a lot going on. There is definitely a
need for mentorship at all levels and the issue is being addressed in
various way by a multiplicity of actors. I guess and what I keep hearing,
is that there are not enough experienced individuals willing to
sacrifice/contribute some of their personal time towards adopting and
mentoring some of these brilliant young people.

Let us keep in mind that mentorship is not 1 hour talking at/down to a
group of techies, but is actually a much deeper engagement, on a personal
level - where the mentor makes themselves available to the mentee(s) for
guidance, advice, support, counselling etc...

I have 3 such guys with whom I have developed a relationship over the past
4 years and I can tell you that there is nothing a fulfilling as seeing
them grow from strength to strength.

Best regards,

Brian

--
Brian Munyao Longwe
e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
cell:  +254715964281
blog : http://zinjlog.blogspot.com
meta-blog: http://mashilingi.blogspot.com

"Give us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand
for, because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything."