[kictanet] Listening at the Kenya Red Cross Developer day

Paul Kukubo pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Sun Jun 3 17:26:47 EAT 2012

As I write this the Kenya Red Cross is organizing the tech event dubbed
Random Hacks of Kindness. Developers from all over Kenya are presenting
ideas on using technology in humanitarian situations. Taking place at Keny
Red Cross offices.

Dr Ndemo opening the judging session emphasized the need for developers to
think commercially in order for them to have the incentive to stay the
course. Most applications are very socially oriented, perhaps representing
our social reality.

What's amazing is the fact that these hackathons and developer forums are
becoming an increasing aspect of youth culture in universities and
colleges. Remember most developers ago are say 19 years old now were 14
years old when the undersea cable discussions started.  What is evident is
that these developers need a lot of mentoring and this where we can all
come in.  The issue of mentoring needs a broad discussion.

It was fresh to see a whole new bunch of techies with a different
perspective. At this stage the developer community is doing what it can.
Many of them worked the weekend to prepare. Once this becomes part of the
youth culture, even for a few, opportunity is created.

This is kind of techie week in Kenya with Nokia Summit last week, the 4c
challenge meeting last Friday, the pivot east and the outsourcing summit
this week starting tomorrow.

Although the judging is still under way, I must say a Sunday afternoon well
spent.

Paul Kukubo

--
Paul Kukubo
Chief Executive Officer, Kenya ICT Board

12th Floor, Teleposta Towers Koinange Street

Tel +254 20 2089061, +254 20 2211960
Fax: +254 20 2211962
website: www.ict.go.ke
local content project: www.tandaa.co.ke, www.facebook.com/tandaakenya
twitter:@tandaaKENYA
BPO Project: www. doitinkenya.co.ke
Digital Villages Project: www.pasha.co.ke

personal contacts
_______________

Cell: + 254 717 180001

skype: kukubopaul
googletalk: pkukubo
personal blog: www.paulkukubo.co.ke
personal twitter: @pkukubo

Vision: Kenya becomes a top ten global ICT hub

Mission: To champion and actively enable Kenya to adopt and exploit ICT,
through promotion of partnerships, investments and infrastructure growth
for socio economic enrichment