[kictanet] [EANOG] The East Africa Internet Exchange Point-- Where are we?

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:44:04 EAT 2012

This will not be construed as ignorance Kyle :) but there *is* significant
trade between the East African countries and it follows that there is also
a lot of data exchange which is currently utilizing international circuits.
The same argument for a local IXP then pertains i.e. lower cost (and
faster) regional interconnectivity should serve as a way of enhancing (and
growing) regional data interchange. The local IXPs would serve as the best
place for this inter-regional peering to occur, with a "regional carrier"
offering the service at a fee.

Please take a look at the attached CFP which was used in 2006 to initiate
the EAIXP proof-of-concept. It should answer some of your questions.

Best regards,

Brian

  [image: logo]
*Brian Munyao Longwe*