[kictanet] R.I.P. John Michuki

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Wed Feb 22 14:05:32 EAT 2012

Hi Wash, et al,

On 2/22/12 12:13 PM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:30, Joseph McDonald <mcdonaldoj at gmail.com
> <mailto:mcdonaldoj at gmail.com>> wrote:

>     But his stream lining of the transport industry is commendable.
>

> There is really nothing like Hon. Michuki streamlined the transport
> industry.

I would like to divert the discussion to see if any or none of the
observed changes in the transport industry can be translated into
opportunities for our ICT sector.

1. Considering how much time we spend in traffic and the comfort and
sense of security resulting from the changes, it means that people can
actually get some level of work done in public means. The concept of Bus
wifi is not new and am wondering why its not been put to good use. I
would get into a bus to work every day if it had free wifi as part of
its value add.

see: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/2008-04-10-wifi_N.htm

2. If am a matatu owner, i would be keen to have an understanding of how
my revenue is generated from my investment. As such, if there was
someone who would develop a system that monitors seat occupancy and
connected to a GPS system. That i can access at the end of every day or
in reall-time thats why we have 3G anyways. It would be easy to know
what route my matatu was on the whole day, how many commuters went in
and out of a seat, where they got in and out of through GPS and
basically have an idea of what to expect at the end of the day.

3. With the formation of many SACCO's i see potential for partnership
between Govt and Private Sector to install GPS/3G solutions that can
monitor movement of the public transport for traffic management planning.

emanamba is the only solution that i have seen to have taken advantage
of the transport sector.

Am certain the brilliant minds on this list can develop better ideas and
solutions that can take advantage of the changes observed in the
transport sector.

Regards,

Michuki.