[kictanet] Weird Things ...

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 11:20:58 EAT 2012

Hi People,

It seems clear that globally recognized certification of local skills is a
very important indication of quality assurance for global firms exploring
opportunities for setting camp here. Such certification among devs is an
objective way of demonstrating to the multinationals and investors that
when we talk of having a skilled workforce we are not merely chest thumping
and having "feel good" talk.

My only worry would be if we anchor certification on vendor specific
products. The sense of neutrality will be very important in my view - and I
guess thats being addressed.

Best regards

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Paul Kukubo <pkukubo at ict.go.ke> wrote:

> Eugene
>
> The very definition of BPO/ITES suggests we are course. The strengthening
> of software skills helps with our outsourcing journey.
> Despite certain constraints specifically on incentives to international
> outsourcers wanting to locate here, the project to develop a centre of
> excellence for BPO training is on course. (see www.ict.go.ke for details)
>
> When we announced over 2 years ago that we would be doing this
> certification among other things, we did not get any pushback. Yesterday a
> representative from the software dev community attended our press
> conference and it was encouraging to hear his perspective. Basically
> arguing that standards can only make things better.
>
> The choice to certify will be up to individuals and firms.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul Kukubo
> CEO Kenya ICT Board
>

> On Tuesday, February 7, 2012, Eugene Lidede (Synergy) <
> eugene at synergy.co.ke> wrote:
> > Agosta,
> >

> > Seems like KICTB has finally abandoned it BPO/ITES campaign and is on to
> new things in the software development arena. Line up your team at PesaPal
> to get this new certification least they churn substandard software going
> forward.
> >
> > For once Mr. Liko, allow the wind to follow the smoke…
> >

> > Regards

My Blog - www.gmeltdown.com
The ordinary just won't do