[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

Jotham Kilimo Mwale jokilimo at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 14:45:13 EAT 2012

Hi

Kivuva wrote:

Dennis, you should not give the government such ideas. They are on
this list. Your email should have read "in the end, a frustrated
government will enter into a multi-billion contract with University of
Nairobi and JKUAT to mass produce low cost subsidized FTA decoders,
and Kenyans would have won the battle, won the war, created thousands
of employment, and tilted the balance of trade". ...If Dr. Ndemo was genuine and was playing for the
best interest of Kenya, this is the path he should have advised the
government to take.

I remember in 2011 Dr Ndemo challenged the universities to take the initiative of locally producing the STBs in readiness for the June 2012 migration deadline. Evidently, the dons did not find this attractive.

Below is an excerpt of an article (published on 19 January 2012) from http://www.biztechafrica.com/article/digital-migration-will-kenya-meet-deadline/1764/?country=kenya

"To make the set-top boxes affordable for Kenyans, the Government had
approached The University of Nairobi to come up with a prototype and the plan was to have local entrepreneurs to manufacture in mass."

So the Huwaweis will now benefit as we keep chanting "tunaomba serikali ...".

Kind regards,

Jotham Kilimo Mwale