[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Fri Dec 21 14:08:01 EAT 2012

Stephen,
I wanted to stay out of this till the ruling in court but I cannot keep
quiet when you tell the whole world lies on mobile penetration in Kenya.
Virtually every adult Kenyan has access to mobile in 2G.  The fastest
growing market is broadband because of the growing needs by the poor to
get their produce to market or get the best pricing.  This is what the
many applications that are being developed in Kenya will do.  Rural
schools need the broadband most since education too is going e. While
mobile coverage in Kenya is at 90% (mostly 2G coverage), land mass
coverage stands at 40% with 80% mobile penetration.  Mpesa is not for the
rich like Mutoro but the poor and is accessible to 90% of the poor.

The need to migrate to 4G is critical in planning our broadband needs in
the next one year.  For us to meet the projected demand we must get to the
last mile.  This means that getting to the poor since mot of the rich have
fibre connevtivity to their homes.

I take great exception with your statements.  My Key Performance Index
(KPI)is how many people in Kenya rich and poor have access to internet.
This is significantly different from your KPI of counting how many cases
you have taken to court over the perceived infringement of consumer
rights. While you can criticise me as a public servant, I am not able to
even know your funding sources and the motives for funding.  I do not
question but this is what Kenyans are talking in low tones.

What we can do for now is to rephrase John F. Kennedy's quote to read "ask
not what the poor may be wanting; ask what you have done to remove
poverty".  Going to court purpoting to represent the poor is a bouguasie
cover up.  Let us stand up for the poor and help eliminate poverty by
teaching them to navigate the high seas of technology and fish for their
sustainable living.

I am in India for some family medical case but I must report that Delhi
whose per capita income is lower than Nairobi, has fully migrated to
Digital.  The poor are now enjoying watching TV in the languages they
understand (this is a requirement in our constitution).  Three hundred new
channels have come up including one helping consumers understand what is
in the market and how it compares with other competitors.  Perhaps you
need to upgrade your approach to consumerism.  Only technology will help
be more effective.

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year my brother.

Ndemo.