[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Dec 21 14:39:07 EAT 2012

Dear Dr. Ndemo, wishing you a safe flight back home, and a quick
recovery to your loved one.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too

On 21/12/2012, bitange at jambo.co.ke <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:
> Stephen,
> I wanted to stay out of this till the ruling in court but I cannot keep
> quiet when you tell the whole world lies on mobile penetration in Kenya.
> Virtually every adult Kenyan has access to mobile in 2G.  The fastest
> growing market is broadband because of the growing needs by the poor to
> get their produce to market or get the best pricing.  This is what the
> many applications that are being developed in Kenya will do.  Rural
> schools need the broadband most since education too is going e. While
> mobile coverage in Kenya is at 90% (mostly 2G coverage), land mass
> coverage stands at 40% with 80% mobile penetration.  Mpesa is not for the
> rich like Mutoro but the poor and is accessible to 90% of the poor.
>

> The need to migrate to 4G is critical in planning our broadband needs in
> the next one year.  For us to meet the projected demand we must get to the
> last mile.  This means that getting to the poor since mot of the rich have
> fibre connevtivity to their homes.
>

> I take great exception with your statements.  My Key Performance Index
> (KPI)is how many people in Kenya rich and poor have access to internet.
> This is significantly different from your KPI of counting how many cases
> you have taken to court over the perceived infringement of consumer
> rights. While you can criticise me as a public servant, I am not able to
> even know your funding sources and the motives for funding.  I do not
> question but this is what Kenyans are talking in low tones.
>
> What we can do for now is to rephrase John F. Kennedy's quote to read "ask
> not what the poor may be wanting; ask what you have done to remove
> poverty".  Going to court purpoting to represent the poor is a bouguasie
> cover up.  Let us stand up for the poor and help eliminate poverty by
> teaching them to navigate the high seas of technology and fish for their
> sustainable living.
>
> I am in India for some family medical case but I must report that Delhi
> whose per capita income is lower than Nairobi, has fully migrated to
> Digital.  The poor are now enjoying watching TV in the languages they
> understand (this is a requirement in our constitution).  Three hundred new
> channels have come up including one helping consumers understand what is
> in the market and how it compares with other competitors.  Perhaps you
> need to upgrade your approach to consumerism.  Only technology will help
> be more effective.
>
> Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year my brother.
>

> Ndemo.

> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
> development.

Mwendwa Kivuva
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels
Cel: 0722402248
twitter.com/lordmwesh
transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know