[kictanet] RRA queuing system

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Aug 3 21:17:37 EAT 2012

Mark/Michuki

You are both right (Sort of). Technology definitely helps in the efficiency
part and analytics that measure so that you can improve processes.

The human factor is also critical because technology is an enabler not the
silver bullet for poor customer service. It doesn't matter how good the
technology deployed is to handle processes. If the human factor is missing
then it would not be worth the investment.

Self-service however is another matter. Take Google for example, with their
fully automated Ad Network. You don't need any human interaction to place
your ads, track them and measure ROI. But guess what? You still have to go
through a tutorial which is usually done through a video on YouTube. And
you guessed right...Its humans behind the video.

I think the big issue here is that we suffer from deplorable customer
service across most industries in Kenya. It's like we have come to accept
it as a matter of course and this must stop (and all of us have a role to
play in this).

I always like to give the example of a Kenyan company that seems to have
gotten it right. Auto Assured, a vehicle rescue company. Over the 7+ years
I have used them I have always gotten consistent good service. And here is
the Holy Grail of customer service - CONSISTENT GOOD SERVICE. They do it
almost effortlessly. I once asked the MD what the secret is. His answer:-
The right culture, incentives and Training, Training, Training.

My two cents

Ali Hussein

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Michuki Mwangi <michuki at swiftkenya.com>wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On 8/3/12 10:38 AM, Mark Mwangi wrote:
> > Throwing technology at a human problem will not make it go away.
> >

> Is the glass half-full or half-empty?.
>
> I would prefer to say, "using technology to improve efficiency" is the
> objective.
>
> Efficiency is two way;
>
> 1. From the walk-in customer point of view
>         i. How long does it take to be served
>
> 2. From an organizational point of view.
>         ii. Efficiency of service delivery
>

> In the absence of such systems, it is difficult to enhance efficiency in
> such a workplace.
>
> Such systems can provide you useful data such as;
>         1. What are most issues being resolved about
>         2. What are the average wait times
>         3. Are the resources provided adequate (HR, computing, etc...)
>         4. etc
>
> It is through such information that an organization can make
> improvements and adjustments to better serve its customers.
>
> For instance, it would be possible to know if there are fewer agents at
> the counters and what times of the day. It would be a simple option
> where an extra agent is brought it to assist during the peak times. The
> impact that would have would be priceless to the organization.
>

> Regards,
>
> Michuki.

*Ali Hussein|Managing Partner*

*
*Telemedia Africa
Azania Technology Group

Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road

P O Box  14556-00100

Office: +254 737 751409

Cell:     +254 773/713 601113

*Nairobi, Kenya*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but in
business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis, member,
Advertising Hall of Fame