[kictanet] Going beyond coding

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 17:17:23 EAT 2011

Hi,

I had forgot the following little fact about Microsoft:

Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer and Paul Allen at Microsoft, seeing an opportunity in the making, approached a tiny software company, Seattle Computer Products, which had an x86-compatible OS which used a similar command interpreter to CP/M called 86-DOS. Microsoft purchased the OS and perpetual usage rights, which they then re-christened as "DOS", for a mere $75,000.

After negotiating an almost unheard of non-exclusive licensing agreement with IBM, the company would be established as the leader in personal computer software for decades to come.

I wonder should we be overemphasising the ability of one to code or do we need to also develop and encourage negotiators and scouts who can identify a product and find a home for it?  We just might be barking up the wrong tree, we need visionaries who can help dreamers realise their dreams

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor