[kictanet] Day 1: e-Discussion on Aligning records management with ICT e-government and Freedom of Information in East Africa

Brainiac arebacollins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 01:10:03 EAT 2011

This couldnt have come at a better time and in lieu of conversation with the
PS on progress made with the company registry, I believe input in this would
help a lot if adopted.

My contribution:

There is not one government agency taking responsibility (and cue) for
records management. as a result it has inherently been left to the
individual ICT departments in the various points of data capture to decide
on the appropriate methods, policies and design of the information capture,
a somewhat counter productive situation since there is no effective way of
leveraging all this information.

My suggestion would be to have a legally legitimate (and mandatory) organ
tasked with handling data (and Data only). This would be tasked with
designing a system to handle Data and calls to the database and develop the
API which can be shared with system developers and integrators at the
various levels.

This i believe would work well with the current structure since information
would be centralized and the means of accessing this retained as current or
with slight modification.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Dear Listers******
>
>  ****
>
> Greetings. ****
>
>  ****
>
> Further to last week's announcement, today we commence the  e-discussion
> on *Aligning records management with ICT e-government and Freedom of
> Information in East Africa**, *a study conducted by International Records
> Management Trust (IRMT) and supported by IDRC *. *The study covered five
> Eastern African Countries namely Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi and Tanzania
> (findings attached). ****
>

> For today, tomorrow and Wednesday, we will focus at issues of *Planning
> for Records Management Requirements in ICT systems.*****
>

> Three main concerns are identified under this theme. And today, we focus on
> the first concern namely:  *Lack of planning for records management
> requirements in ICT systems*. ****
>
>  ****
>
> To guide in our thoughts on this concern, lets consider the following: ***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> ·         Is there an effective policy/plan for records management
> requirements in ICT systems in governments?****
>
> ·         What systems if any are used by governments for records
> management? ****
>
> ·         Is there a body/institution tasked with ICT record management
> for governments?****
>
> * *
>
> *Today’s Question*
>
> How can governments address this problem of *Lack of planning for records
> management requirements in ICT systems*?****
>
> ** **
>
>  We look forward to hearing from listers from all the five countries.
>

> Have a great monday.
>
> Rgds
>
> ** **

*“The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of
great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of
corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of
protecting corporate power against democracy”*

~  Alex Carey ~

Tel No: 0x2af23696