[kictanet] Day 1: e-Discussion on Aligning records management with ICT e-government and Freedom of Information in East Africa

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 12 00:46:13 EAT 2011

Dear Listers

Greetings.

Further to last week's announcement, today we commence the  e-discussion  on Aligning records management with ICT e-government and Freedom of Information in East Africa, a study conducted by International Records Management Trust (IRMT) and supported by IDRC . The study covered five Eastern African Countries namely Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi and Tanzania (findings attached).

For today, tomorrow and Wednesday, we will focus at issues of Planning for Records Management Requirements in ICT systems.

Three main concerns are identified under this theme. And today, we focus on the first concern namely:  Lack of planning for records management requirements in ICT systems.

To guide in our thoughts on this concern, lets consider the following:

·         Is there an effective policy/plan for records management requirements in ICT systems in governments?
·         What systems if any are used by governments for records management?
·         Is there a body/institution tasked with ICT record management for governments?

Today’s Question
How can governments address this problem of Lack of planning for records management requirements in ICT systems?

 We look forward to hearing from listers from all the five countries.

Have a great monday.
Rgds