[kictanet] Freedom of Information laws and records management/ e- discussion continued

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Wed Oct 19 09:10:12 EAT 2011

Hey,

I've delved into the the document availed by Rosemary(thanks for this), and
also comments from Henry and
I was considering a response when I saw a post come in from the PS..

As earlier argued, I suppose a balanced approach would require we adopt both
the PS' well articulated view
on one hand, and rationally balance this against universally accepted
benchmarks such as the "platform
on access to information".

This is why from the first word we need to have a clear understanding of all
these terminologies in order to
move forward. Now the PS mentions that Data in its stored form can never be
information, until the same is
conveyed to the target audience. What of knowledge..? Where on the value
chain do we build up data into
knowledge, so that we can build ours into a "knowledge-based economy"..?

And if we go up the  data/information tree, what about data that has yet to
find it's way into the data bank,
possibly some which remains in institutional memory form. How do we ensure
we capture this for future
generations?.

I suppose the key aspect as he has mentioned, is the The "Information Value
Chain" management. And
everyone has a role to play other than just leaving it to one player as I
mentioned in an earlier post. The
growing challenge that we face today is, how to harness the best tools and
strategies that will bring to
bear one of the most important resources in our time - "The information age"
for socio-economic, and
political development.

And again, everyone has a role to play..

Harry

  _____