[kictanet] Freedom of Information laws and records management/More questions

justus wamukoya jwamukoya1 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 13:21:24 EAT 2011

Many thanks to Edith and all those who are contributing to this hugely important debate. Unfortunately I have not been able to contribute as much as I need to as I am on a rather tight mission in Kigali. However, very briefly, let us appreciate that knoledge goes from data to information, then to records, then to knowledge and in some cases to wisdom. This should answer the question as ti weather information can ultimately be converted to knowledge. Secondlly, is the question fir standards. Yes, there are well established standards for records managemenr, irrespective of the formats on is thinking of and also for data conversion and data interchange. So let us not reinvent the wheel. Lastly, records are critical to FOI and so as a country we shall be cheating ourselves ti think that FOI can work wthout RM. And finally finally, whereas information and knowledge are important for various reasons, value is added if the records that evolve out of these are
 captured into sound RM systems for continuing usabily as evidence as well as both institutional and societal memory. More later. Justua