[kictanet] STAKEHOLDERS COMMENTS ON IANA FUNCTIONS

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Sun Mar 27 18:46:27 EAT 2011

Thank you Walu and McTim

This will be a good opportunity for Kenyan stakeholders, (we are very
active in both ICANN and IGF spaces) to input and wish to encourage more
comments online as well as during the meeting on Tuesday.

Comments are requested along these 6 areas/aspects:

·In light of technology changes and market developments, should the IANA
functions continue to be treated as interdependent technical functions?
For example, does the coordination of the assignment of technical
protocol parameters need to be done by the same entity that administers
certain responsibilities as sociated with root zone management? Please
provide specific information to support why or why not, taking into
account security and stability issues.

·The performance of the IANA functions often relies upon the policies
and procedures developed by a variety of entities within the Internet
technical community such as the IETF, the RIRs and ccTLD operators.
Should the IANA functions contract include references to these entities,
the policies they develop and instructions that the contractorfollow the
policies? Please provide specific information as to why or why not. If
yes, please provide language you believe accurately captures these
relationships.

·previously raised by some governments and ccTLD operators and the need
to ensure the stability of and security of the DNS, are there changes
that could be made to how root zone management requests for ccTLDs are
processed? Please provide specific information as to why or why not. If
yes, please provide specific suggestions.

·-Broad performance metrics and reporting are currently required under
the contract.\7\ Are the current metrics and reporting requirements
sufficient? Please provide specific information as to why or why not. If
not, what specific changes should be made?

·Can process improvements or performance enhancements be made to the
IANA functions contract to better reflect the needs of users of the IANA
functions to improve the overall customer experience? Should mechanisms
be employed to provide formalized user input and/or feedback, outreach
and coordination with the users of the IANA functions? Is additional
information related to the performance and administration of the IANA
functions needed in the interest of more transparency? Please provide
specific information as to why or why not.

·Should additional security considerations and/or enhancements be
factored into requirements for the performance of the IANA functions?
Please provide specific information as to why or why not. If additional
security considerations should be included, please provide specific
suggestions.

best Alice,