[kictanet] STAKEHOLDERS COMMENTS ON IANA FUNCTIONS

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Sun Mar 27 20:13:24 EAT 2011

Hello,

Alice Best,  I was just about to post my comment, when I noticed yours roll
in. I may not be
responding directly to the 6 points you raised. However, this is just a
general comment on
what may be afoot, especially with the call for review by NTIA coming at a
time when there
are concerted efforts far and wide to reign in ICANN. Maybe we need to
realize how important
it is first to keep these efforts at bay as a priority, even as we embark on
consolidation and
enhancements in its operations.

Much of the huge progress we have witnessed within  Cyberspace has been
largely due to
the unbridled freedom enjoyed by a borderless internet community working
together and
knowing no geographical frontiers. They have dictated the fast pace at which
internet has
evolved, in just about under a decade. I must say ICANN to a large extend
has exercised
it's mandate responsibly towards the global internet community in
facilitating this progress.
What we need now moving forward, is the mandate to be broadened to encompass
greater
accountability to it's global base.

The day we will cede back this control to a governmental authorit(y) (ies),
is the day we roll
back the carpet on most of these major achievements, which do not auger at
all well for future
development. Doing that means opening up to vested interests, whether
geopolitical, regional,
sectoral etcetra. We need not allow that.

To date, ICANN has had a free hand in it's operations without undue
influence hugely because
many, especially in Govt, including the U.S congress to a greater extend are
yet to fully comprehend
this tiny group, what it does, and what it's influence on the global stage
is. But maybe, this might
only be shortlived, and no longer the case in the coming days when they wake
up to the reality
and demand control.

We need to understand the oversight in place (mandate) and essentially have
the same
speedily move towards being delinked from any form of Governmental authority
- whether
single, or grouping.

Harry

  _____