[kictanet] Storm Clouds are brewing

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 14:05:57 EAT 2011

Hi,

The message below was sent out by SwiftGlobal about a failure at their data
centre which gives a clear sign that we are not ready for public clouds as the
current ones seem to have turned into storm clouds and are beating down hard.

Dear Customer,
This is to notify you that there  will has been a power problem since Monday
27/6/2011 late afternoon at  ILH (Town) which is our redundant  site. This
involved a total shutdown on power  last evening as they replaced a contactor
which got burnt during the day's power  fluctuations. The generator was also not
working to allow these electrical works  to be completed.

During this exercise there was service interruption to all  clients and services
terminated at this Location i.e (co-located server,  webserver). This also
causing slow internet speeds due to an overload on servers  at the main site. We
continue to experience this interruption as they are still  working on the power
issue.

We regret the inconvenience this has caused you. Kindly bear  with us as this
crucial exercise is carried out we will keep you  updated.

For any further queries, please feel free to contact our  support desk on
6921000 or write to support at swiftglobal.co.ke

The message clearly indicates that swift have no long run power backup and are
also dependent on a shared backup generator.  A data centre must been able to
operate for at least 6 hours with no external power.

What is also more interesting is that the statement and sequence of  events
listed by SwiftGlobal are very similar to those of KRA when there systems went
down a few weeks ago.  Could this mean that apart from me there is no one else
in the country with the local expertise to design a industry standard data
centre?

Regards Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor