[kictanet] DadaabNet - Suggestions, Feedback, and Advice

Crystal Watley Kigoni crystal at voicesofafrica.org
Sun Jul 24 21:59:01 EAT 2011

@muchuri

In brief response to your questions:
1) Mobile phone penetration is high but computer penetration is low.
Some NGO staff has said there is a kind of techphobia and a lack of
skilled techs.
2) We have been meeting with cybercafe owners. Each camp seems to have
1 or 2 cybercafes. Also the Norweign Refugee Council has set up a
training program and we are actively seeking for partners on the
ground.
3) Communications are very important to the refugees. There are a
remarkable number of 3G phones in the area. Plus we are bringing in
netbooks and tablets at very low cost.
4) No intranet current exists. There is no unified communications
infrastructure. The lack of proper IT in operations here was the
driving force behind the idea. I originally thought I would focus on
public health (my degree training) here but found the need for ICT
programs, our specialty, to be huge.

This is a needed and do-able project where we as a Kenyan NGO can do
something real and tangible.

Thank you for your questions and feedback.

Best,
Crystal