[kictanet] Does Anyone Know If "254" Had a Meaning? (Was ITU: Country Code 211 Officially Assigned to South Sudan)

samuel ochanji sochanji at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 00:23:26 EAT 2011

Dr Ochuodho,

Thanks for updating us on the events up North in Juba. Talking about the ccTLD, a lot of noise has been generated, as we inevitably expected, about South Sudan applying for .SS which has negative connotations to the notorious Nazi era SS(Schutzstaffel) in Europe. I understand, from comments made by Eng. Lugga to the press, that S. Sudan has already applied for .SS. Is there a "clause" in ISO rules or IANA that might prevent them from awarding .SS South Sudan perhaps based on "public interest" or any other excuse or are we likely to see .ss domains soon? Kindly clarify of us.

Best wishes as you help build this new and promising nation!
Rgds