[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

Solomon Mbũrũ Kamau solo.mburu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 17:04:27 EAT 2011

This is indeed a healthy discussion which I really appreciate.
However, as a layman, just as someone pointed out, what exactly is a
(open) data centre? And how does it differ to what NBK, KPLC(?),
Equity bank have?
Where the Kenya Govt Open Data is, sets a curios question: doesn't the
govt have plans to have it located locally? And if there are
challenged reeling, can't it be brought to the fore, so that we may
put our heads together and brainstorm?
The idea of some sections of the government classifying information
does not go well since the government is nopt an exclusive members
club.
If by what has been said, of Paul Kukubo 'sitting' on some resources,
then it would be prudent to look at the matter in a sober manner and
see how they can be put into good use.
And, if there are no plans for Kenya to have the data centres locally
based for the next three years, then why are we talking of Konza
(Malili) ICT City, which would be a perfect place for piloting this
DC?
A lot of deliberation needs to be made, to realize the establishment
of our own DC here.

My 2 cents.