[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

Michuki Mwangi michuki.mwangi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:38:47 EAT 2011

Hi Robert,

On 7/13/11 3:31 PM, robert yawe wrote:
> Hi Michuki,
>
> Thank you for the information, please give us the following missing
> information.
>
> 1) An Operators license from CCK - ISP, Mobile, etc
>
> I will follow up on the license requirements from CCK but out of
> curiosity what license do UNON, KRA & NBK have
> (http://www.tespok.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=92
> <http://www.tespok.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=92>) just
> to get a better understanding of the entire process?

Unfortunately our agreement with our members does not permits me to
disclose this information. As such, i would defer you to CCK or the
members directly to get this information.

> 2) Fill in the Membership forms
>
> What are the membership fees for application, monthly and annual?

Maybe i should have called them subscription forms and agreements. Fees
are payable for on a monthly basis for KIXP peering services.

> 3) Pay Services fees based on port speed required 10/100/1000 Mbps per
> month
>
> What are the charges for the various bandwidth connections?

This is an administrative question that you would have to consult the
Admin office directly to inquire.

However according to information available on the TESPOK website its
Kshs 30,000 for minimum entry which is 10Mbps.

> 5) lease a circuit from KIXP back to your Premise
>
> Who are the available providers with nodes at KIXP and can provide the
> backhaul?

Currently there are Jamii, KDN, TKL, Access Kenya, Wananchi Online and
Safaricom. As i mentioned earlier - KIXP is carrier neutral facility.
Any provider is welcome to build infrastructure to KIXP facilities if
they are not there yet.

> 6) Bring a Router to KIXP for connecting to other Members.
>
> What are the minimum requirements for the router apart from just BGP
> capability?

In any network, the engineering team should have the skills to determine
what router minimum specifications would be sufficient for the
organizations peering needs and when upgrades are due etc.

Therefore our specifications are based on what is necessary for
efficient peering to take place. That requirement as per Internet
Standards is BGP or multi-protocol BGP to support both IPv4 and IPv6.

It also must have the right interface to connect to the switch at KIXP
(Ethernet(fast) or SFP). The rest is the prerogative of the member.

HTH,

Michuki.