[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 15:31:56 EAT 2011

Hi Michuki,

Thank you for the information, please give us the following missing information.

1) An Operators license from CCK - ISP, Mobile, etc

I will follow up on the license requirements from CCK but out of curiosity what
license do UNON, KRA & NBK have
(http://www.tespok.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=92) just
 to get a better understanding of the entire process?

2) Fill in the Membership forms

What are the membership fees for application, monthly and annual?

3) Pay Services fees based on port speed required 10/100/1000 Mbps per month

What are the charges for the various bandwidth connections?

4) Technical requirements are available here
http://www.tespok.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=91

4b) This includes getting your own IPv4/IPv6 Address Space and ASN from
the RIR - AfriNIC.

5) lease a circuit from KIXP back to your Premise

Who are the available providers with nodes at KIXP and can provide the backhaul?

6) Bring a Router to KIXP for connecting to other Members.

What are the minimum requirements for the router apart from just BGP capability?

7) Receive your setup/configuration details

8) Free assistance if needed by KIXP tech to setup BGP and Peering sessions.

> Assume I was a foreign investor coming to set-up a data centre in Kenya
> and wants to know the requirements for connecting to KIXP.

Data Center operators care about having an IXP in their facility. Thats
a whole different discussion.

CDNs and the likes are the one that are more interested in joining an
IXP in any market.

HTH.

Michuki.