[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

Michuki Mwangi michuki.mwangi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:00:01 EAT 2011

Hi Robert,

On 7/13/11 2:16 PM, robert yawe wrote:

> Is it possible for you to give us a comprehensive response on the
> requirements for connecting to KIXP an issue I have asked before but
> instead kept getting incomplete responses.

1) An Operators license from CCK - ISP, Mobile, etc

2) Fill in the Membership forms

3) Pay Services fees based on port speed required 10/100/1000 Mbps per month

4) Technical requirements are available here
http://www.tespok.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=91

 4b) This includes getting your own IPv4/IPv6 Address Space and ASN from
the RIR - AfriNIC.

5) lease a circuit from KIXP back to your Premise

6) Bring a Router to KIXP for connecting to other Members.

7) Receive your setup/configuration details

8) Free assistance if needed by KIXP tech to setup BGP and Peering sessions.

> Assume I was a foreign investor coming to set-up a data centre in Kenya
> and wants to know the requirements for connecting to KIXP.

Data Center operators care about having an IXP in their facility. Thats
a whole different discussion.

CDNs and the likes are the one that are more interested in joining an
IXP in any market.

HTH.

Michuki.