[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 12:16:31 EAT 2011

Hi Rad,

I agree with you on the lack of local capacity within the so called ISP
community, a company I mentor offers their data stream services using the SAAS
model and after running around discussing with those providers who have no
appreciation of the various technologies it was realised that it made more sense
to set-up a data centre.

The organisation has put up the data centre with redundant links, air
conditioning , long run power backup and fire suppressants at a monthly
operating cost equivalent to  one quarter what they would have been paying
for collocation and a tenth on a hosting package.

They are experiencing new headaches every day but they are not about to through
in the towel, recently they have received enquiries from other organisations who
would like to utilise the facility an issue the organisation is seriously
looking into.

Since the KICT Board is no longer subsidising the BPO organisations
international bandwidth maybe those funds could be used to develop local hosting
capabilities in the MSME sector.  The board keeps looking for bottomless holes
to pour money into yet they are half full cups that would be best filled up
first.  Even in the bible it is said that to those who have more shall be added
can we as a faith based nation uphold this doctrine instead of rewarding the
servant who buried his talents.

My conviction is that running away from a difficulty is a sign of weakness
and cowardliness which is why my advice to the organisation was to put up their
own facility even though it might have been cheaper to host on google, godaddy,
or amazon as their contribution to building Kenya.

It is my expectation that KIXP will be forward looking enough to remove the
hurdles of connecting to them as that would allow better local performance to
the data centre.  I am forced to humble myself on this issue because the saviour
we had been awaiting in the form of a national exchange point seems to have
missed the flight.

This entire issue of mis-pricing, overpricing and fleecing is as a direct result
of the failure of the KICT Board to prioritise its programs based on the needs
of the industry and not the whims of the world bank and other foreign masters.

Thanks to Dr. Ndemo and others with whom he worked selflessly to bring the TEAMs
and EASY cable systems to fruition.

The lack of local capacity to host our own data cannot be chocolate coated by
the release of the data it would be the same as re-inviting the British to take
over the running of our government as their economy has performed better than
ours cheaper during the period that we have been independent.

Paul, I think that it is only manly for you to accept failure in your mandate
before you go the way of Councillor Majiwa (failure to discharge his duties).

I feel that the failure of KICTB has been more as a result of overstepping its
mandate from marketing Kenya as a destination for ICT to becoming an
implementing agency.  It's single sighted approach to treating ICT as BPO and
mobile applications only, has had the effect of stagnating other areas of the
sector, it was refreshing to hear at a KICTB function where they indicated that
their emphasis will now be towards ITES.

For instance the open data project was an opportune chance for the government to
jump start local hosting and demonstrate confidence in that ICT sub-sector.
 This would also allow us to target the countries in the region for hosting of
their open data thus meeting the objective of becoming the destination of choice
for regional data.

The net effect of KICTB's action in the industry has been to pour cold water on
local hosting as in this case of justifying the hosting of the data in a foreign
country.  We cannot on one hand be crusading about local content while on the
other we are going out of our way to place our content elsewhere.

The action by KICTB is synonymous to Kenya Tourist Board or Brand Kenya placing
adverts telling Kenyans to travel to South Africa yet their mandate is to
develop domestic tourism and also bring tourists to Kenya.

The rest of us are not any better as we only give lip service to our so called
convictions, I asked before on what platform do we as listers on KICTANET stand
and as is usually the case there was no response silence was all I got, but
there is still hope for us as a profession and a nation which is why I am not
even considering a green card.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, apart from me as PMG, in that there is
a unit that was set-up under the communications act whose mandate was to police
the KICT Board as well as others, its called the National Communications
Secretariat.  As industry stake holders lets find it, take it over (like civil
society has done with the judiciary) and from their we shall have control over
our own destinies.

So fellow listers, we have a chance to grow teeth that can actually bite but do
we want them?

"With great power comes even greater responsibility" - Spiderman movie

Interesting reading

http://books.google.com/books?id=-NKurl1tiIcC&pg=PP10&lpg=PP10&dq=%22national+communications+secretariat%22+kenya&source=bl&ots=UqhOmrc3VK&sig=-QOIBgNwkxQ0ucdWHU5k0XOTSks&hl=en&ei=IjYdTvz4HcSHrAexkayODA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=%22national%20communications%20secretariat%22%20kenya&f=false

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=20&ved=0CEcQFjAJOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.information.go.ke%2Findex2.php%3Foption%3Dcom_docman%26task%3Ddoc_view%26gid%3D4%26Itemid%3D37&rct=j&q=%22national%20communications%20secretariat%22%20kenya&ei=IjYdTvz4HcSHrAexkayODA&usg=AFQjCNEM83_1IBXdzqVqCnnEttnKye-iNw&cad=rja>

The Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) parent agency is actually the
National Communications Secretariat
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Commission_of_Kenya)

http://www.information.go.ke/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=4&Itemid=37
 Read Page 10 on the point number 2.6.1

The NCS was allocated 90 million in the 2009/2010 budget yet it only has 3 staff
members

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd