[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

Michuki Mwangi michuki.mwangi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 13:11:00 EAT 2011

Robert,

On 7/13/11 12:16 PM, robert yawe wrote:

> It is my expectation that KIXP will be forward looking enough to remove
> the hurdles of connecting to them as that would allow better local
> performance to the data centre.  I am forced to humble myself on this
> issue because the saviour we had been awaiting in the form of a national
> exchange point seems to have missed the flight.

Please provide clarity here. What hurdles does KIXP have?.

If i may speak wearing my KIXP CTO hat on. We provide a Switch, Power,
cooling, rack space and security. A mini carrier neutral facility so to
speak.

Connecting to KIXP is as simple as filling in a form, meet the set
requirements set by CCK for one to connect to KIXP, install a router and
link at any of our 3 facilities in Kenya (2 x Nairobi, 1 x Mombasa) and
thats it.

Currently KIXP is the Worlds fastest growing IXP by percentage growth of
traffic this year at 670%. According to PCH.  (exluding newly
established IXPs).

https://prefix.pch.net/applications/ixpdir/summary/growth/?sort1=bandwidth&sort2=_percent_change&order=desc

We have over 30 members peering including Govt, Private Sector and
Academia.

We clearly have done something right to be at the top. But we are not
there yet. We shall brag when we get there.

In this respect, we would definitely like to hear your perceived
challenges so that we can sustain this growth position for the next 12
months.

Regards,

Michuki.