[kictanet] Yawe for Post Master General - Aluta Continua

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:58:06 EAT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 08:38, Crystal Watley Kigoni <
crystal at voicesofafrica.org> wrote:

> And when you become PMG, Yawe please change how customs deals with packages
> and the corruption there. I asked people from the States to stop sending
> packages for myself and the NGO because even though they were NOT for resale
> we were being charged up to 50 percent of an imaginary retail value (usually
> the highest price to be found on the internet). It became more expensive for
> me to clear items than it was

@Crystal,

The next stop for the big changes after Yawe  become PMG would be
Customs/KRA. The outfit is so draconian so much that you'd think you are an
alien from outer space when you've got to deal with them. They are so
secretive about the way they conduct themselves, like using threats to
create fear in you, and push you into a corner. Their ultimate aim is to get
you to grease their hands -- somehow.
KRA/Customs MUST be reformed to become transparent to the citizens. They
must be clear on the tax schedule (I mean a list detailing the categories of
items and the tax levied on them), which should be published for public
scrutiny. This idea of googling prices should never arise. There are times
you find a Customs officer trying to force you to believe that a CCTV camera
is a camcorder!
KRA/Customs must also respect the citizens. They so far behave like the
Police, who always think (mistakenly) that they are God, forgetting who
their employer is.

Maybe our "PMG" should also handle the Customs docket!

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,