[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2011 List Discussions Day 4 Cloud Computing

Cleophas Barmasai cbarmasai at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:43:11 EAT 2011

Dear All

I am aware Kenya Power have given assurances that they are tackling the
power issue. However, I know this will remain a challenge for cloud
computing until we have stable and sufficient power. I recently had a sad
experience when a Customer could not upload data for backup because there
were outages in town.

 I also think, we also still have a lot of ground to cover in providing
power to all corners of our counties to enable this venture.

Cleophas

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Joe , Sam and Aki for your contributions, @ Aki I hope Dr.
> Ndemo has answered the issue comprehensively, thank you bwana Ps for
> the concise answers, I am not sure whether the Ps would want to
> respond on the issue of google, nonetheless, on another thread a
> lister (I think Bobby) raised an issue on the stability of cloud
> services any take on this, I believe this is an infrastructure issue
> as Sam would call it, any take listers?
>
> On 7/5/11, bitange at jambo.co.ke <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:
> > On enabling cloud computing the government has done the following:
> > Rolled out an open access  terrestrial fibre optics network to all
> counties;
> > built a government data center; connected all government offices with
> fibre;
> > aggressively embarked on digitalization of its registries (judiciary,
> state
> > law office done but lands on progress); identified land for national data
> > centers and about to identify a ppp partner; working on an open access
> LTE
> > rollout by April 2012;  supported universities with subsidized broadband
> > (more than 10GB), disbursed funds to set up digital villages in 39
> counties;
> > held awareness seminars on the benefits of cloud computing (last one
> three
> > weeks ago at Serena on medical cloud and assisting KNH to develop model
> > cloud services); this Friday at 9.30 government launches open data
> > initiative  and more.
> >
> > Recent cloud achievement, an MP with court cases corruptly stole all his
> > case files from the high court.  Little did he know that the files had
> been
> > digitalized and the case was to proceed. When he enquired where the
> digital
> > records were kept, he was told on the cloud.  He is still looking up the
> > cloud to see if he can identify them.
> >
> > I must state here that it is awefully dissapointing that some of you are
> > asking for the legal framework when we took it through a thorough
> > stakeholder process before sending it to Cabinet. Further we cannot keep
> on
> > complaining when the Government has created such an enabling environment.
> > look forward to the day when someone will come and complain that I
> started
> > offering this type of cloud services but I am stuck here.  Indeed I would
> > stop whatever I am doing and push to see more enterprise and more jobs.
> > Theoretical complaints to clear the road before you can but a car do not
> add
> > value.
> >
> > Some of the  practical risk free  steps you must take is to digitalize
> your
> > family photos, securities (land title deeds) and film and start sharing
> your
> [...]

Sincerely,

Cleophas Barmasai
"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live
soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age..." (Titus 2:11,12, NKJV)