[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2011 List Discussions Day 4 Cloud Computing

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:55:55 EAT 2011

I also agree that Kenya Power should be pushed to have adequate and reliable
power since data centres and cloud users are reliable on both for such
services.

We also need to encourage ISPs and Telcos to get into the business of data
centres rather than keep fighting over who reduced prices beyond the other.

Once we have the capacity, we need to have the govt coming in with policy -
favourable laws and tax incentives that will encourage the data hungry
Google's and Apples to lease our data centres.

KICTB also needs to come in by looking at ways in which developers can have
local affordable data centre services. We are currently caught up in an egg
or chicken situation where Data centre providers need adequate adoption for
pricing to come down while local developers looking to cut costs opt for
already established and way cheaper providers.