[kictanet] How secure is mpesa

amugambi at jambo.co.ke amugambi at jambo.co.ke
Mon Jul 4 11:33:05 EAT 2011

Even SMs from Safaricom are not being delivered to Orange cdma network yet
the sender is being charged. This has been going on since last Friday as
that is the day I send someone on the CDMA Network

Anyone out there who has experienced the same come forward we take the
necessary consumer protection action.

Regards

> Hi,
>
> I am writing this post with a heavy heart as it will likely reverse gains
> that
> have been made in the ecommerce and ebanking/mbanking environment.
>
> A client of mine, who shall remain unnamed for now in typical Kenya
> fashion,
> runs a site that accepts payments using the mpesa paybill system.  Due to
> the
> close similarity in various paybill number there has been a tendency for
> people
> to send money to the account erroneously.
>

> As the errors have grown over time the client has had to come up with a
> way to
> manage the reversals so us to reduce the impact on their operations.  Last
> week
> Safaricom accessed the paybill number's account and initiated reversals
> without
> notifying them.
>
> How sure is Safaricom that the person who indicated that they had sent the
> money
> to the wrong number had not already consumed services?  As the post master
> general in waiting I am concerned that such action would have negative
> effect on
> ecommerce as reversal of a transaction based on the request of one party
> will
> definitely harm the other.
>
> The reversed transaction still incurs the owner of the paybill number a
> cost
> that is not reversed, this issue was previously raised with the former MD
> of
> Safaricom Mr. Michael Joseph who instructed one of the managers to look
> into and
> resolve.  It has been over 2 years and the issue is yet to be concluded.
>
> This action also indicates the issue of Safaricom mistreating SME
> organisations,
> if the error was made with the KPLC or Co-Op Bank accounts would the staff
> have
> the audacity to make direct reversals on the system?
>
> I believe the term for such action is blatant impunity that can only
> be practised by a  monopolistic player in an industry.
>
> With a heavy heart I send this post hoping that it will act as a wake up
> call
> both to Safaricom and the regulators (CCK & Central Bank) that we need
> better
> control and monitoring of the money transfer market otherwise we stand to
> scare
> the public which would result in its slow down.
>
> Regards
> Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> Kenya
>

> Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.