[kictanet] Media Council Draft Bill 2010 (Day one discussion)

k.k. ombati kaykerubo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:52:02 EAT 2011

content does include what media(journalists,presenters) offer in their
shows and broadcast...and if you have a look at Schedule two of the
Media Bill 2010,it contains a code of conduct which touches on
guidleinestogovern the content of news,broadcasts etc,
but remember the media bill is specifically targeted towards creating
professional standards for journalists,which includes setting minimum
educational and ethical standards and the regulation of what content a
journalist may or may notbroadcast or print is merely one facet of the
purpose of the act.

the BCAC regulates content in that it targets persons other than
journalists e.g.media house owners etc..because sometimes the
journalists are dictated to in terms of what they may or may not say
on paper or on air by their media houses.That's where the BCAC comes
in to regulate the content that media houses(which by  implication
includes  journalists)should or should not broadcast or print plus it
deals with other factors like censorship,which are outside a
journalist's scope of duties.