[kictanet] Fwd: NEWS RELEASE: Major Websites Commit to 24-Hour Test Flight for IPv6

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Thu Jan 13 16:39:38 EAT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Date: 	Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:35:48 -0500
From: 	Leslie Daigle <daigle at isoc.org>
To: 	chapter-delegates at elists.isoc.org

*

Hi,

FYI -- drawing your attention to an announcement we've just made of a
major event we're coordinating for June this year.   I'm quite pleased
that the major content providers of the world are stepping up to do a
visible test drive of IPv6, and excited that we have the opportunity to
coordinate the activity.

This is a first announcement, and we'll be following up with more
detailed presentations at upcoming technical meetings.  As the
announcement notes, we are looking for more participation, and will be
especially happy to get some major non-US content providers signed up to
participate.  It would be great if you could help us identify willing
content provider participants -- sign up is available here:
 https://www.isoc.org/isoc/contact/index.php?id=25

Leslie.

*Major Websites Commit to 24-Hour Test Flight for IPv6*

/“World IPv6 Day” to take place on June 8, 2011/

/GENEVA, SWITZERLAND and RESTON, VIRGINIA, USA/**–*12 January 2011*
–Facebook, Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) and Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO), websites with
more than one billion combined visits each day, are joining major
content delivery networks Akamai (NASDAQ: AKAM) and Limelight Networks
(NASDAQ: LLNW), and the Internet Society, for the first global-scale
trial of the new Internet Protocol, IPv6. On June 8, 2011, dubbed “World
IPv6 Day,” participants will enable IPv6 on their main services for 24
hours. With IPv4 addresses running out this year, the industry must act
quickly to accelerate full IPv6 adoption or risk increased costs and
limited functionality online for Internet users everywhere. The
companies are coming together to help motivate organizations across the
industry—Internet service providers, hardware manufacturers, operating
system vendors and other web companies—to prepare their services for the
transition.

The Internet Society is supporting World IPv6 Day as part of its efforts
to accelerate IPv6 deployment. “2011 is a pivotal year in IPv6
deployment, and World IPv6 Day will prove to be an important milestone,”
commented Leslie Daigle, the Internet Society’s Chief Internet
Technology officer. “By providing an opportunity for the Internet
industry to collaborate to test IPv6 readiness we expect to lay the
groundwork for large-scale IPv6 adoption and help make IPv6 ready for
prime time. The greater the scope of the trial, the more effective it
will be for all participants so we wholeheartedly welcome additional
participants.”

IPv6, the successor to the protocol currently used on the Internet, was
designed in the late 1990s but has not seen deployment on a global
scale. With IPv4 address space running out, the industry cannot afford
to wait much longer.

Vint Cerf, Google’s Chief Internet Evangelist and co-inventor of the
TCP/IP protocol stack, commented, "In the short history of the Internet,
the transition to IPv6 is one of the most important steps we will take
together to protect the Internet as we know it. It's as if the Internet
was originally designed with a limited number of telephone numbers, and
we're soon going to run out." Google has offered a separate IPv6-only
version of search on ipv6.google.com <http://ipv6.google.com/>since
early 2008, and during World IPv6 Day the company will enable IPv6 for
its main websites, including www.google.com <http://www.google.com/>and
www.youtube.com <http://www.youtube.com/>.

Given the diversity of technology that powers the Internet, the global
nature of the trial is crucial to identify unforeseen problems.
“Participating in World IPv6 Day will allow us to obtain real-life data
that we can use to ensure a seamless user experience as we transition to
IPv6,” said Adam Bechtel, Vice President for Yahoo’s Infrastructure
Group. “We welcome this opportunity to collaborate with the technical
community and provide leadership in addressing the scaling challenges
facing the Internet.”

World IPv6 Day marks a key milestone in enabling more and more computers
and smart phones to come online. As more of the world moves online, IPv6
will be critical for the Internet to reach its full potential as a
catalyst for growth, innovation and economic prosperity. IPv6 provides
over four billion times more addresses than IPv4, which will help
connect the billions of people not connected today.

Facebook views the rollout of IPv6 as a critically important step to
keep the world connected. “As an industry, we're working together to
ensure future generations continue to have open and direct access to the
Internet as we do today," said Jonathan Heiliger, Vice President of
Technical Operations at Facebook. "The number of web-connected devices
is exploding, and World IPv6 Day is a crucial step in ensuring they can
all communicate."

Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), a leading provider of cloud
optimization services, will enable customers to participate in World
IPv6 Day. "IPv6 adoption is still in its infancy," said Harald Prokop,
Senior Vice President of Engineering at Akamai. "We stand ready to
support customers through this important trial, and believe that early
planning and testing will ensure a smooth transition to IPv6." To
support the transition to IPv6, Akamai customers will be able to
seamlessly make their existing websites available via IPv6 without
requiring disruptive changes to their origin networking infrastructure.

Tom Coffeen, Director of Global Network Architecture for Limelight
Networks, said, "As part of our ongoing commitment to IPv6, Limelight
Networks today is actively delivering customer content over the world’s
first fully IPv6-compliant content delivery service. We are pleased to
participate in World IPv6 Day to encourage the adoption of IPv6 across
the Internet and to transform address resource challenges into
innovation and competitive advantage for our customers."

One of the goals of World IPv6 Day is to expose potential issues under
controlled conditions and address them as soon as possible. The vast
majority of users should be able to access services as usual, but in
rare cases, misconfigured or misbehaving network equipment, particularly
in home networks, may impair access to participating websites during the
trial. Current estimates are that 0.05% of users may experience such
problems, but participating organizations will be working together with
operating system manufacturers, home router vendors and ISPs to minimize
the number of users affected. Participants will also be working together
to provide tools to detect problems and offer suggested fixes in advance
of the trial.

For more information about World IPv6 Day, how to get involved, and
links to useful information for users, visit
www.internetsociety.org/worldipv6day
<http://www.internetsociety.org/worldipv6day>.

*About the need for IPv6*

IPv4 has approximately four billion IP addresses (the sequence of
numbers assigned to each Internet-connected device). The explosion in
the number of people, devices and web services on the Internet means
that IPv4 is running out of space. IPv6, the next-generation Internet
protocol, which provides over four billion times more space, will
connect the billions of people not connected today and will help ensure
the Internet can continue its current growth rate.

*About the Internet Society*

The Internet Society is a non-profit organisation founded in 1992 to
provide leadership in Internet-related standards, education and policy.
It is dedicated to ensuring the open development, evolution and use of
the Internet for the benefit of people throughout the world. See
www.internetsociety.org <http://www.internetsociety.org/>

Leslie Daigle
Chief Internet Technology Officer
Internet Society