[kictanet] Fwd: Re: Re: Zain voice at Kshs 1 per day?

Francis.Hook at gmail.com Francis.Hook at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:19:37 EAT 2011

I agree Muriuki - we've reached a watershed point here. At a regional level
Airtel have a subscriber base that other operators cannot rival (even those
outside Kenya excl the other multi country operators like MTN, Vodacom,
Etisalat, etc). In some of their markets they still have healthy ARPU and
as #1 operator in those countries thus perhaps can subsidise costs across
some borders. Further, their capex model is getting more and more lean, and
at a time when even regulators are encouraging sharing of non-core
infrastructure and co-location. Airtel has taken this a step further to
outsource other infrastructure and services.

As much as we try to read the tea leaves, this market will remain in flux
for quite a while...